Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Review: The Great Gatsby







This movie is my latest obsession.  As a nerdy-English major, I thought that it was my duty to watch the movie.  Though, confession, I've never read the book.  We just bought it, and I get it as soon as my husband is done with it (he called dibs).

The fashion.  Twenties fashion is everywhere right now.  I oogled and oggled the flappers, the pearls, the glitz and glam.  Almost equally as eye-pleasing was what the men were wearing.  Gotta love that slicked back hair, those dapper bowties and straw hats.  Plus, I am now obsessed with this haircut.  Wonder if I could pull it off, or if it just looks beautiful because it's on Carey Mulligan's face.

The twists and turns.  This movie satisfies my appetite for drama and adventure without the gut-wrenching horror brought on by, say, Batman.  There is mystery, suspense, and a twist-ending.  I love/hate the ending--it's a doozy!  The movie wouldn't be the same without the  shocking closer, but I still found myself inwardly chanting things like, "No!"  and "Look out!" and "Don't do it!"

It wasn't fantasy, but it had a fantastic feel to it.  The character of Gatsby seems unreal.  He throws larger than life parties every weekend.  Everyone has heard of him, but no one has met him.  All of the characters, Nick, Daisy, Tom, and Gatsby, live in a world where everything goes.  Perhaps it is the world of New York in the 1920s that makes me feel like I've been transported to another dimension.  It feels both wonderful like the Utopia in Avatar and awful like the Dystopia in the Hunger Games.




Have you seen it yet?  What did you think?  If you haven't, go red-box it, pronto!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...