Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Like a Baby in a Wrap


Have you ever worn a baby?  You should try it sometime.  It is sure to complement any outfit even better than your favorite scarf does.  I am an amateur baby-wearer.  I am still a little a lot awkward with my baby wrap.  I feel unsure of my wrap jobs, and find myself constantly touching baby's nostrils to make sure they are unobstructed.  Even though I'm still learning the ins and outs of baby-wearing, I can appreciate that there is something magical about it.

When you put a baby in a wrap you can feel that baby instantly relax.  It's like they release everything and just melt into your chest.  The wrap is my son's kryptonite.  He instantly falls asleep as soon as he's snuggled against me.  Why do babies seem to like being worn so much?  Perhaps, they get a temporary glimpse to life back in the womb.  They are warm.  They can hear your heartbeat.  If you're a breastfeeding mama they can no doubt smell your milk (which I imagine is kind of like the aroma of a batch of fresh-baked cookies wafting through the room as you drift off to sleep).  Worn babies must feel close, loved, and secure.

This Sunday, I went to church for the first time since having baby E.  In the hope that he would sleep through the service, I decided to wear him.  As I worshiped corporately for the first time in almost two months, God used the image of a soundly sleeping baby in a wrap to speak to me.  He told me that he wants me to experience him the way that my baby is experiencing being worn by me.  He wants me to listen to his heartbeat.  He wants me to know that I am secure in him.  He wants me to let go and completely rest in his arms.  God's got me like a baby in a wrap.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...