Saturday, December 24, 2011

Not a Silent Night

I am trying to digest truths that are bigger than myself.  Instead of giving me tons to say it is leaving me quite speechless.  Sometimes that's a good thing for an English major.  This Christmas I don't want a pretty plastic nativity.  I don't want to sugar coat God coming to Earth in the form of a helpless baby.  That night it wasn't just that there wasn't room for Mary and Joseph, but that they weren't welcome because of the shame of being pregnant outside of wedlock.  Jesus, the savior, was born amid suffering, shame and loneliness.  As Christmas approaches I'm reflecting on these words and images, trying to get a small taste of what that night might have actually been like.  I hope you will take a moment to do the same.



   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...