Saturday, June 22, 2013

What Do I Really Treasure?

Streit Ladies at my Bridal Shower (Eleanor on the far right).

Just over two years ago, one of my besties, Erin, made me feel so loved by throwing me a princess-themed bridal shower.  There were lots of friends, lots of presents, lots of pink.  But I was thinking about the thing I got that day that meant the most to me.

My good friend Eleanor came.  In lieu of a gift, she presented me with a hand-written letter.  I think she said, "It's the thought that counts," or something as if she needed to apologize for it not being enough.

The letter thanked me for our friendship.  It highlighted some of the moments we'd shared that year.  It said that I was one of the reasons that Eleanor now walks in relationship with Jesus.

You see, I'd spent that year living in the college dorm Streit-Perham.  A couple of dear friends of mine moved in alongside me.  We watched movies with girls, giggled, played dinosaurs with them, and got to know and love them.  We sought to find out their life stories and where they were at with God.  Some, like Eleanor, had never met Him, and maybe didn't even know that was a possibility.  Despite this, Eleanor began coming to Cru's weekly meetings, our bible study, and even attended a full-weekend retreat with us.  She was seeking God and He met her there.  I just sort of came along for the ride.

I loved all the gifts I got at my shower.  Many of them I use on a daily basis.  But that letter is by far the thing I've treasured the most.  I keep it in the glove box of my car, to this day, and pull it out when things seem dark.  I can hardly read it without tearing up.  I am in the middle of battling my materialistic tendencies, and this reminded me that there are things far more valuable than, well, "things."

I thought that was such a sweet picture of this verse:

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matthew 6:19-21

Because, as much as I love things, and believe me I REALLY love things, knowing that I had been a part of someone coming to know God in a real and personal way, was far better than all the material gifts I'd received.  As I decide where to invest my time and resources I pray I remember this:  all the pretty Earthly treasures I could ever acquire are nothing next to knowing that I've stored up even one little treasure in heaven.  So I'm asking myself lately, "What do I really treasure?"  

How about you?  What do you really treasure?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...