Friday, August 12, 2016

Baby Gadgets That Are Actually Useful

There are so many baby gadgets out there.  You could spend all your millions on stuff for your baby.  It seems to me like babies aren't that expensive as time goes on, but that the start-up costs can be astronomical.  Everyone has different opinions about which items are totally necessary, and every baby is different. Something that is awesome for my son might not work at all for yours.  My advice to you is to get Amazon Prime or the free six-month trial around the time that your baby is born.  That way, anything that you decide you need you can get with free shipping and it will arrive almost instantly.  That said, I found even registering for items, let alone buying them to be so stressful.  How do you know what a baby needs when you have never had one before?  But I did appreciate just hearing what other people thought about things to give me a starting point.  Take this with a grain of salt, but here are a few items that we bought that have totally been worth every penny.  Also, note that my baby is less than two weeks old.  As time goes on, I might have a completely different list.  It seems like this parenting gig is constantly changing as baby grows.

Wipe Warmer

Munchkin Warm Glow Wipe Warmer

Okay, I know this seems kind of ridiculous. Like, I'm pretty sure a warm wipe is something that the baby butler brings you at the baby mansion.  Jeeves walks up to you with your freshly heated and pressed wipe like, "So sire's bum won't be cold."  Silly as it may seem, my little guy HATES to be cold.  Getting his diaper changed is one of his least favorite things.  I can hardly bare listening to him cry out in agony as I wipe him.  So we ordered one of these.  It has made diaper changing significantly easier on our wee babe.

Swing



I cannot say enough about this.  I love snuggling my Emers, but sometimes you just need a break.  Your arms get tired.  You need to eat, or God forbid do a chore or two?  Ok, if I'm honest I haven't done much outside of loving, feeding, and changing my sweet boy these last couple of weeks.  This swing is so great for just setting him down for a bit while he sleeps.  It rocks which keeps him happy.  It's high off the ground which keeps my dog away from him.  It is light and portable so you can take it anywhere.  When Phil goes back to work I plan to use it while I shower.   I think it is also great if you stayed the night somewhere with an infant--it would be the perfect little place for him to sleep away from home.

My Brest Friend Pillow

My Brest Friend Original Nursing Pillow, Fireworks

What?  A boob pun is in the name?  That might be reason enough to purchase this little number.  Let me tell you breastfeeding ain't no joke.  For awhile it is painful.  Like, real painful.  Like, is-this-baby-part-beaver painful.  Also, it takes some time to learn and get used to how to hold the baby, how to get the baby to latch etc.  After a frustrating few days, I decided to order this nursing pillow.  After my first use I was singing a hallelujah chorus!  It gives me so much more support than just holding the baby or using a regular pillow.  I can get his head into position so much easier the pillow is keeping his weight up.  The pillow also allows me to have more access to my hands so I can read, or use the remote, or let's be real, eat, because that's what I do all the time now.

Waterfall Bathtub

Summer Infant Warming Waterfall Bath Tub

Yep, my baby's bath has a "waterfall" function.  I am probably starting to sound like a Kardashian.  Honestly, we didn't realize that this was a feature when we bought the tub.  I chose it mostly based on how it looked and the reviews it got on Amazon.  When it arrived we read that it needed batteries and we were really confused.  It turns out that the bath trickles a stream of warm water down baby's back to keep him warm.  It also came with a perfectly sized wash cloth that you can get wet and drape over his front like a blankey.  Again, for a baby that is unhappy being cold, to me this is totally worth it.  It also has a soft pillow for cushioning his head.  Another feature I like is that it has a little holder on the back to put things in--including a small cup with little holes in it for rinsing baby off.  When you have a new baby you have so many things everywhere so this little organizational function feels really convenient.

Is there anything I haven't discovered that I need to add to my list?  I have Amazon Prime's free trial on stand-by ready to order anything that will make my mommy life easier.  Stay tuned for more lists as baby E grows.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...