Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Stuff Middle-Schoolers Like

For those who don't know, I am currently student teaching in a 7th and 8th grade English classroom.  I kind of feel like an anthropologist studying a foreign culture.  I must admit though, I fit in pretty well.  Apparently middle school is the only place where liking most of the things I like is actually cool.  Here are some of the things I've noticed that middle-schoolers like.

Justin Bieber
We did a little get-to-know-you poem and I'm pretty sure that 89% of them said they wanted to meet J Biebs.  Then again several of them listed going to Tay Sway's concert as the most exciting thing that's ever happened to them.  So I'll forgive them ;)

The Hunger Games
Aren't they a little young for this?  Don't get me wrong I am obsessed with love HG as much as the next person but 12 year-olds reading it?  I don't know.

Glasses that don't actually improve your vision
Apparently this is some sort of a fashion statement.  You can wear them as an accessory even when you don't need them.  Maybe being nerdy is finally coming in style.  Fingers crossed!

Writing boys names in their notebooks
I fo real thought this was like an urban legend, but I was grading grammar notebooks and can't tell you how many times I came across something like "John" encircled in a heart.

Sports
Life revolves around sports.  At this school, you have to be passing all of your classes to be eligible so that's a good carrot/stick for teachers.  Right now the cool boys play football and the cool girls play volleyball.  I'm sure after I tell them I was a soccer player/wrestler in high school they'll let me sit at the popular table during lunch.

Neon Colors
You practically need sunglasses to hang out with them!  I am a fan of bright colors too.  I actually met a girl named Chelsy (with a y) who has the same bright turquoise pants as me.  Bonus points if you wear fake glasses that are neon-colored too.

I'll update you more on this strange species as time goes on.  I'm sure I'm generalizing a bit too since I'm basing this completely off of middle-schoolers in Clarkston.  What have you noticed about this distinct people group?  Is there something you'd add to the list?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that 12 is a little young for them to be reading "Hunger Games", because of the content. I think it's a 16+ series.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...